Saturday, January 9, 2010

Okay, okay - it's a musical day, so sue me!

After my last post, I flipped over to my brother's blog and enjoyed his most recent musical post. But it was something he said in the introductory remarks about his featured musical posting that reminded me of a similar experience. I will quote him here "Every once in a great while, a cover comes along that may possibly be better than the original". I happen to agree wholeheartedly with that statement.

Once again I was cruising the net a few years ago and happened upon a redition of one of America's most iconic songs - "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" however, it wasn't sung by the quintessential Judy Garland, but a regional artist in the great Northwest, Eva Cassidy.

Have you ever bought a CD just because it had one song on it, or am I the only one? All I can say is thank God for Amazon.com because that is where I found it and quickly snatched it up.

The "pure" sound of her acoustic guitar is flawless and her soul stirring rendition is one you may not likely forget.

Allow me to give you a brief history of this artist. She recorded several CDs but she became terminally ill. One person posted a comment that I read summed it up quite well:

"As I understand, she was aware of her terminal affliction at the time of this performance.

If we put the depth of meaning contained in the lyrics of the song in context with what she was going through at the time, the "breaking" of her voice at the phrase "why can't I", will help to appreciate the genuine nature of her perfomance.


Every once in a great while, a cover comes along that may possibly......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again, another beautiful song to listen to while falling to sleep. How sweet and pure is her voice.