Saturday, January 9, 2010

"Meditation" from Thais

Several years ago I was surfing the internet for music when I came upon this piece played by Itzak Perman. I was instantly mesmerized by the intense beauty and sheer "power" of such a masterful composition. Only I did not know its name or the artist at the time. It wasn't identified on the internet. I had it saved for 3 or 4 years when I became acquainted with a classical concert pianist. I played it for him asking if he could identify it for me. He only had to hear the first couple of measures and once the violin began he knew it was "Meditation" from Thais. He said that it was his father's favorite piece and they played it at his funeral.

Jules Massanet wrote this amazing piece. I've wondered what Jules may have been experiencing at the time it was written. I've never tired of hearing it. It will most likely be listed in the top five of my all time favorites considering music in all its entirety with all its genres.

I read one person's comments and it said: "It sounds like a slow ascent to heaven and heaven is pierced at 2:00 minutes"

I hope you enjoy it as much as I.



Blessings!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

O, my, how peaceful. It would be wonderful to have that on a cd and just put it on all the tracts and listen to it while peacefully falling asleep. It is soooo soothing. Thanks you for sharing.