Thursday, October 13, 2011

Reflections on God's goodness-

Today I've been blessed to have the opportunity to spend time with my newborn son, as I have for the last two weeks now. Truth be told, I wouldn't trade any moment of it for anything in the world! Right now he is sleeping in his carseat after polishing off 6.5oz in less than 45 minutes! We started with 5oz (his last record)and after he guzzled that right down and still acted fussy and wouldn't go to sleep, I tried a little trick a certain Indian woman taught me: I stuck my finger in his little mouth and when he commenced to suck on that, well I knew he was still hunger. So, Daddy jumped up and went into the kitchen to make another 2oz. of formula all the while asking this little guy - "And just where do you think you're going to put this, little man?" He just wailed a little louder (translation- "I want my bottle NOW!")

So we nestled in the rocking chair Grammie & Grampie gave us a few years ago (in faith- believing for grand babies) and we began bottle no. 2! Well wouldn't you know it after about an once and a half, those eyelids just got so unbelievably heavy, they simply wouldn't stay open. The sucking commotion stopped and the "sleepy song" began. For those of you who don't know what his "sleepy song" is, well it is a symphony coos, moans, groans and general squeaks that are completely unique to Gabriel.

He is in his carseat because we have to go pickup Mommie in a little bit as she gets off of work; and we're a "one car" family right now.

I've also been patiently awaiting a phone call from a prospective new employer that I interviewed with yesterday in Kansas City, KS. I've worked with two individuals over there in times past and they wanted me to come over and talk with them about the opportunities they have at their company. I met the owner of the company and we talked for about an hour. He said that he would be calling today with an offer! I was a bit surprised when he said that because I generally don't expect to get an offer on the spot like that. I guess my reputation precedes me and he'd already been doing some investigation on me.

So, I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the quality time I've spent with Gabriel these last two weeks but I believe that there will be some good changes happening in the very near future. He'll be going to day care for awhile until Mommie and I can get our financial feet completely planted beneath us again. Six months of unemployment (and under employment)hasn't been the easiest of times. But this presents the transition to talk about the goodness of God.

It would be quite a lengthy post if I were recount all the times that God has moved miraculously and provided for us during this time. I mean, I lost my job in mid-April, blew through our savings, Gabriel's birth mother re-appeared in mid-July asking if we still wanted to adopt her baby after vanishing in April, we had to pay money to an adoption agency, adoption attorney, all this and still pay rent, utilities, gasoline, groceries, etc., etc. and we NEVER missed a bill, NEVER went without food, kept all our utilities on. I'm telling you, God was making a statement and when HE makes a statement, HE really makes it like only HE can! I am still in absolute "wonder" how all this has come about and really happened. Ten years ago, I probably would have lost my mind. But I've never had a doubt that God would take care of us, and that he still will continue to take care of us.

This period of time (some may call it a storm) has been a learning time for me. I've learned how to let God...be.....GOD. He's always been.....right on time! There is an old "spiritual" that says "cain't nobody, do me like Jesus; he's my friend" He sho' nuf showed up....and showed OUT! Uh-oh, you better watch out now, I'm feelin' a preachin' comin' on!

Lemme break it down for ya, I mean after baby Gabriel shows up, Mommie takes some well deserved time off work for bonding time and being a full time Mommie. When she takes off work, there's no income. I've been without work for quite sometime already and was working a little job in a neighboring town, but, watch what God does....in a time when we as a family are basically making $50,000 a year LESS than what we normally make, God keeps a roof over our head, keeps our lights on, keeps groceries in our cupboard and gas in our car!

CAIN'T NOBODY.....DO ME LIKE JESUS!
I simply couldn't resist. Now you tell me if this isn't the face of an angel! He all OURS now, wholly and completely OURS. Cain't nobody take him from us now! He is... Gabriel (strong man of God) Judah (PRAISE) Palmer (like a palm tree with it's deep tap root)

SHALOM!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This baby is truly a gift from our Heavenly Father. He fits perfectly in my arms and has planted himself securely within the boundaries of my heart. We now have four beautiful granddaughters and four handsome grandsons and there is always room for more. We are blest with two gorgeous little great-granddaughters and a capitivating little great grandson. Life continues on as next year will bring another "great" into our family circle. Praise God!