Thursday, July 28, 2011

We Celebrate the life of Aunt Shirley-



As the morning sun hits the dew on the grass, and the sparkling diadems dance before our eyes, one special prism of light that shone ever so brightly and dazzled us with her radiant beauty transitioned today from her earthly home and stepped into the glorious presence of our Heavenly Father. We knew this prism of light as Shirley Graham Ramsey! So unique, so brilliant - there could only be one!

When light touches us, we are warmed by its glow, our life is illuminated so we can see clearly the path we are to follow. Light is never really extinguished, it is always with us, hidden within our hearts and souls, always drawing upon the love emitted from its source. God the Father knew we need light and He knew we needed the light that only Shirley could emit.

I suppose I would be remiss if I didn't share one special memory I have with my Aunt Shirley. John and I were out in the front yard of Grandma Graham's house doing something. Well John did or said something that I didn't like and I called him a name. If you knew Aunt Shirley, you knew she didn't allow name calling! Don't ask me to repeat the name I said, because it has been washed away from my vocabulary. Some of you already know what I'm talking about - yes, Aunt Shirley marched me into Grandma's bathroom, handed me a toothbrush and a bar of soap and told me to wash that name out of my mouth. After a moment of scrubbing and a mouthful of soapy bubbles she asked if I thought I'd washed it all out and I nodded my head yes. I spit it out and rinsed my mouth out with water - lesson learned, experience over. That was better than 40 years ago!To this day, I don't use a bar of soap! At times I want to run past the bar soap in the grocery store but I maintain my composure and self restraint.

Aunt Shirley was always the closest thing I had to a second mama. We shared a special connection. Many years ago I broke my own parents heart during a phone conversation. I had no more hung up with them when I immediately called Aunt Shirley and reached out to her because when you're in crisis - you need a prayer warrior! As I cried my heart out to her, she said "Kevin, it's gonna be alright!" No one can say my name like Aunt Shirley.

I've been in many a worship service with her and I know how she loved her Lord and Savior. She would call upon the name of the Lord and you knew that heaven and earth can be moved by a intercessor such as she has been.

Today, she stepped into heaven and into the welcoming arms of Jesus! Today heaven has a new diadem. I am confident that Grandma & Grandpa Graham were right there to welcome her home as well.

Albeit it is hard to say goodbye to the vessel we've been so accustomed to loving. I draw comfort and strength from knowing that deep down within the confines of my soul, Aunt Shirley is inextricably housed and filling a space only reserved for her.

I honor her legacy today of love, passion, joy and light! Shine on, Aunt Shirley, continue to be the radiant, dazzeling prism of light the Father created you to be, always warming our hearts with love as only you can.

The Word of God instructs us in the book of Psalms to Selah, as we read. Selah means to "pause, dwell upon and reflect upon what you just read and experienced".

Shine on, Aunt Shirley, shine on - because your light will never fade.

Selah!

No comments: