Monday, November 23, 2009

Farewell to one of God's "champions"

Sunday, November 22, 2009 will live in the hearts of many thousands of individuals as we said farewell to one of God's modern day CHAMPIONS - Billie Joe Daugherty, founder and Senior Pastor of Victory Christian Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He became my pastor in 1979, the year I graduated from high school. He remained my parents Pastor until his home going some thirty years later. Although throughout the years, I have moved around and lived in many different cities and states, I always considered Billie Joe Daugherty my "Pastor". I drew a type of strength knowing he was also "back home" in Tulsa, doing the work of the ministry and spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ to a lost and dying world.

When I told my employers I would need to be gone the day of his memorial service I told them that to say he touched the lives of thousands of people would be a gross understatement. It is without reservation that I can he touched hundreds of thousand of live and yes, perhaps millions! His was a global ministry in scope.

There were many thousands of people earnestly praying for his healing and complete restoration for the glory of God. What I have been sharing with a few people when I speak to them about his passing is that he DID receive his healing! He didn't get the type of healing we all wanted but what he received was the ultimate healing as he passed from this life and into the loving presence of our heavenly Father!

Yes, I have questions. But I know that my finite mind cannot possibly comprehend the things of God. What I do know is that God is still sovereign, the devil is a defeated foe and Jesus Christ is Lord!

I know that Pastor Billie Joe has left behind a beautiful and incredibly powerful legacy regarding the work he has done for the kingdom of God. His level of integrity and commitment to the cause of Christ is one that I could only aspire to achieve. The world is undeniably a better place because of this man's life. He has been a champion for God but has also raised up and trained an untold multitude of champions for the kingdom.

We bid you farewell only for a short while, Billie Joe - until we meet again on the streets of gold, with walls of jasper........


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to a very much loved and respected pastor. He is missed terribly. It is now January 9, 2010 and I still am not able to stop the flow of tears as I sit in the beautiful building that God showed him in a vision many years ago. His ministry will go on through his family and his devoted congregation.