Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Things that make you go...hhhhmmmmm!

So, my sweet bride and I were returning from a weekend celebration of birthdays and July 4th. It's been a beautiful day and all was going well.

In the southern part of Kansas City we suddenly remembered we had to swing by Tam's work to pick up her car we had left there on the way out of town. It was a last second decision but I swerved hard right in order to make our exit ramp when I "heard" something. It sounded like it came from my truck but I checked the mirrors and didn't see anything rolling & tumbling on the pavement behind me so I thought all is okay.

Well we go a few blocks off the Interstate to pickup Tam's car, I let her out, then I begin to pull away when I hear this.... "blubb, blubb, blubb" sound and it didn't "feel" quite right. I looked back at Tam and she looked at me with this quizzical look on her face and began to point at the rear tire. YEP! You guessed it. I had a flat tire. I thought...well, no big deal, I'm not in any big hurry, the temperature is very pleasant outside, I'm in the shade.....I'll just pull this baby off, replace it with the spare and I'll be on my way, right? So you would think.

So, I broke the lug nuts free, jacked it up, removed all the lug nuts, gave a gentle pull, and.......nothing! Pulled harder.....nothing! I kicked it....nothing! I kicked it again, and again, pulled on it, pushed on it....nothing! I'm thinking "oh great, now what am I going to do?"

So, I call a tow truck. I figure I'll have him tow it back to the house and I'll take a hammer to it. He gets there and asks if I'd like to drive the truck home with the spare tire on it or have it towed. I said "Well, yeah, I'd like to change to change th tire now!" So, he pulls out a long two by four board and a big hook. He begins pounding it to break it free, nothing! He pulls on it, nothing! He kicks on it - nothing! He pounds on it some more with the wood and hook - NOTHING! We load it up on the tow truck and take it to the auto repair garage I've been using the past couple of years.

I pick it up the next day and am talking to the Service Foreman and I ask "So, how DID you get that wheel off the hub?" He said we didn't. The mechanic plugged the tire right on the truck. I asked "What causes something like this to happen?" He tells me something about they've been changing the alloys in the metals and coupled along with corrosion it really "binds" the metals together. I say "What am I supposed to do it I have another blow out somewhere?" **blink ** **blink**
He just looks at me.

Things that make you go ......hhhhhmmmmmmmmm!

No comments: