Monday, September 7, 2009

This is my Father's house

Yesterday, Sunday September 6th, after many long months, we conducted our first worship service in our new church building! Let's just say there was a "thunderous" praise that arose yesterday many times during service coupled with a great deal of rejoicing! Everyone wore a smile and there were many tears of joy throughout the servcie. Personally, the level of "anticipation" I had prior to the start of service was "off the hook!" I nearly trembled with exicitement.

Words are realy inadequate at this moment for me to try and communicate the depth of gratitude I have for our new worship facility. You see, Tamala and I have been without a permanent physical church structure for four very long years. When you don't have a building it is exceedingly difficult, not impossible, to conduct some of the ministry outreaches when you do have a physical structure.

We had an email last Friday afternoon that there would be some people at the church building setting up chairs in the sanctuary. They had just arrived that day. So after work, Tamala and I stopped for a quick bite to eat and headed over to the building. There were dozens of people that showed up to help - all on last minute's notice. We agreed to show up again on Saturday morning because Tamala had been asked if she could help out doing some cleaning in the building in preparation for our first service. I had mentioned to our senior Pastor that I would like to bring my power washer and clean off the side walk entrance just outside our main entrance where the construction workers had dripped paint from when they re-painted the canopy overhead. I also asked him if he would mind if I worked on the rose bushes outside and some of the shrubs. I told him I wanted to "shape" them up just a little bit. He said, "Kevin, you can do whatever you want". I was surprised and humbled that my pastor put that much confidence in me and trusted me to that level. As I was trimming the shrubs, picking up trash and debris in the garden beds, dead-heading the rose bushes, I had such a sense of peace and contentment overcome me because I was doing this "as unto the Lord". This is my Father's house, and I wanted to do what little I could to help make it beautiful. For me, bending over to pick up the smallest pieces of trash, sweeping the sidewalks, etc. is my way of "serving" my Father and his children. I definitely didn't feel a sense of pride, or accomplishment (which is a driving force for my personality type) but what I felt was a sense of serenity - yeah, that's the right word, knowing that I can make a contribution in something much, much larger than myself, and that has such eternal significance. Let me explain: the Word of God says that my Father's house, will be a house of prayer. Not only will my brothers and sisters in Christ be coming but there will be those that come that don't have an intimate relationship with my heavenly Father. There will be those that come to my Father's house, that are hurting, those that are sick in their mind, body and spirit. My Father's house will be a place of restoration and healing!

It is for all of these people and for my Father, that I can do the little things that I can. It is a "labor of love". It is a way of expressing my love and gratitude to a heavenly Father that has done so much for me and brought me out of places of darkness. So, every time I hand someone a tithe envelope, or help someone find their seat in the sanctuary for worship, or pick up a piece of trash in the parking lot, or trim a rose bush, I might as well lift mine eyes unto the heavens, smile and say - "Father, it's me - I love you so much! Thank you for all you have done. Thank you for loving me as much as you do."

I would like to extend to each of you an invitation. Won't you please join us for worship experience at our new "house of prayer"? I would count it a privilege to escourt you to your seat. It will be an honor to say......"Welcome to my Father's house"!

No comments: